Friday, February 8, 2013

Stretchy Fab Headband Tutorial

You will need: cotton fabric (about a minimum of 12inx3in, you'll want the length of the fabric to go about 3/4 of the way around the head where the headband will sit, and the width will be the desired width of finished product x 2 plus seam allowance), 7/8 in. elastic (you could even use printed elastic if you have some on hand, though I'm using white because you don't really see it), basic sewing implements, embellishments (whatever you can think up is great)

1. Fold your fabric in
half, hot dog style, right sides together if you're using a print, pin if you like (I didn't bother) and sew using a straight stitch down the raw  edges, using whatever seam allowance you like (though you'll want to remember to allow for it in your measurements if you get too crazy). You'll have an inside out fabric tube now.

2. Flip the tube right side out. I know there are fancy tools for this, but I just stuck my finger in there and pulled it right side out.

3. Insert elastic into the tube openings about 1/2 in. You can pin it if you like, but I just made sure it was in place and dropped the presser foot on it.

4. Sew across the elastic and tube about 1/4 in. in using a straight stitch. Zig zag over it a few times for good measure.

5. Repeat with other end.

6. Now try it on! The beauty of these headbands is the ability to size them easily so they fit perfectly. Don't you hate stretchy headbands that either slide off backwards or squeeze so tight the hair won't lay down?

7. Embellish! Add whatever floats your boat. I've done them with assorted home made fabric flowers, purchased flowers, and one covered in buttons, even. I just hot glued the extras. You could leave it plain so your little lady could wear it for sports. You can match her athletic uniforms perfectly! I have made a few for myself as well.

I have used scraps from pillowcase dresses to make up a headband that matches the dress.

I made the tan one to match a wrap skirt that I'll be getting around to in the near future, and the pink one with the shabby rolled rosettes to match a dress made for my oldest daughter.

P.S., I was having technical difficulties with the pictures. I'll try to get one of each step up when I straighten this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment