Monday, February 11, 2013

Reasons To Craft

I fear I may sound a little sappy in this post, but ain't it just the way?

I'm going to break down my personal reasons for crafting. I'm sure every crafter's explanation is a little different, and I'd love to hear about yours. I'm going to number them, simply because I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to use bullets on here. I'm learning, though!

1. I craft because it's cathartic. Working with my hands and focusing only on the project in front of me helps me to center myself. The mind of a flaky mom is typically whirling. I don't forget things because I'm simply not thinking, but because I'm always thinking too much. Crafting, whether I'm sitting at the sewing machine, folding bows, or delving into crafty waters undiscovered as of yet, allows me to NOT think so much about all the incidentals. It's an incredible stress reliever for me.

2. I love seeing something beautiful and knowing that I made that. It gives me a sense of achievement to know I finished a project, it turned out well, and the finished product will provide someone with happiness (and sometimes that someone is only me, but I figure I deserve to be happy as much as the next person). I feel fulfilled.

3. Crafting makes me feel wholesome and good and..homemaker-ish. For the most part I am a homemaker, but I don't always feel that way. When my kids wear something I've made with my own two hands, it makes me proud. When someone walks into our home and says, "Cute curtains! Are they new," and I get to say I just finished them, I feel like I've succeeded at the whole mom thing. I'm not saying that because someone didn't make their curtains they're less of a mom than me. I'm not even implying anything of the sort. Making things for my family is a way for me to make up for my shortcomings in other mommy departments. It's one way I show my love to my family.

4. I can make trendy, awesome clothes and home decor for a lot less money than it costs to buy those things. We're on a tight budget. Crafting allows me to change things up around the house and wardrobes without breaking the bank. I even make a little money crafting from time to time.

P.S., more  tutorials to come this week! I'll be working on a wrap skirt/dress, some giant layered bows, and a St. Patty's day bubble skirt, and whatever other wild ideas I come up with! If I create it, I'll share the how-to with you!

P.P.S, the picture down there is me and a foster dog. Not a great pic, but it was handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment